For HGV/LGV license DVLA Requires drivers to be medically examined by a GMC registered qualified medical expert and to complete a D4 form.
This is required when first applying for HGV/LGV Licence and then a further medical examination at age of 45 and thereafter at 5 yearly intervals until reaching the age of 65 when annual medicals are required.
How to Book an appointment?
To find clinics close to you and to check available slots, please check our clinic locations
To book an appoint either call us on 0161-975-4947 and our dedicated staff will be only pleased to help you or to book on-line, click on Book an appointment.
What documents you must bring with you for your medical?
Please note that for an HGV/LGV medical you need to bringthefollowing documents with you. Without themthe medical expert will not be able to complete your D4 form and you may need another appointment
- Photographic identification
- D4 form Link to Download Form
- Your glasses (if worn) Your most recent glasses prescription (if worn)
- Your list of medications
What to Expect on the day of examination?
A routine medical examination roughly takes about 15 minutes;however, it may take longer depending on your medical history. We advise that you allowat least 1 hour for the appointment On the day at the clinic you will be greeted by a Ready2drive medical expert who will
- Check your identification
- Take a Blood pressure measurement
- Perform an eye test with and without glasses
- List on the D4 Form any medication you’re currently taking
- List on the D4 Form any hospital consultant you see regularly
- Document your height, weight, smoking and alcohol history (To assist expert it will be helpful if you can bring a note of your most recent weight and height with you)
- Ask questions about your medical history and document it on D4 form
What happens after examination?
The completed D4 Medical form must be posted to the DVLA by yourself.
The interval between having your medical examination and applying for your Licence (or Licence renewal) must not exceed 3 months.
Our doctors do not decide regarding your fitness to license. They are purely instructed to carry out these examinations. The ultimate decision to grant or renew the Licence is the DVLAs.
Once HGV/LGV license has been issued/renewed you must notify DVLA of any changes to your health at any time. This may result in a further medical examination being carried out depending upon individual circumstances. Please visit DVLA website www.dvla.co.uk if you need any more information.